Jason Mitchell thermal 5000

Discuss information on a portable ice house, ice fishing shelter, ice fishing hut, ice fishing shanty, or whatever means of ice fishing.

Moderators: iowawalleye, DanburyFisher, Wizardofoz

Jason Mitchell thermal 5000

Postby finfan » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:27 pm

Does anyone have any experience using one of these hub shelters? I am looking at them but unsure how they hold up, or if they are easy to heat? Any info would be great. Thanks
finfan

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: Jason Mitchell thermal 5000

Postby guinea » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:37 am

People that I know have non-thermal hubs, and in most weather, can stay warm with a Coleman stove or Mr Buddy heater.

My question to you is; any particular reason you are considering a hub style? A hub is good if you are fishing with a few people; they are roomier than other styles. Also, setting them up in heavy wind is difficult if you are alone. They are very lightweight compared to other styles as well. There are pros and cons to each one.

As far as that particular make, I don't know about durability. Who makes it, is it Clam?
guinea

Re: Jason Mitchell thermal 5000

Postby dylan8351 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:54 pm

I have a Clam Bigfoot XL4000t. Similar to what you are looking at. They are very useful when I hit the ice with friends for night fishing or as a basecamp while tip up fishing. They are roomy, easy to set up, and they warm up quickly with a few people and a heater. One draw back is trying to set them up in the wind. Be sure to stake down the windy side so it doesn't blow away... They take off quickly and don't stop! Certainly a good investment.
dylan8351

Return to Ice Fishing House