New Camp, New Lake, New Fish

Talk about everything ice fishing.

Moderators: iowawalleye, Wizardofoz, 56987, icefishermanmark

New Camp, New Lake, New Fish

Postby RedneckCrazy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:58 pm

Hello all,

I am new to this forum thing but I figured I would give it a try as something new to gain some more knowledge.

I am moderately new to ice fishing and on top of that my family just bought and new camp on a lake with fish I've never ice fished for. I am in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and this lake has Rainbow and Brown Trout in it. I just fish with tip ups because that is all I have. I am just curious if any of you would know what depth to start setting my minnows with these types of fish. Or is there a bait that works better than minnows? and once again what depth? The lake is consistently 25 feet in the middle off the points a little deeper in some areas. Any input would be great! Thanks!

Yours truly,

Fellow Fisherman
RedneckCrazy

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: New Camp, New Lake, New Fish

Postby guinea » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:35 pm

Welcome to the site, Redneck! I, too, am moderately new to icefishing (going on my 7th year) and don't know a whole lot, but I can share what I've learned or have been told.

From what I understand, Browns come in shallow in the early mornings and evenings, but early season seems to be different. I caught a lovely brown last weekend at about noontime, so I'm under the impression that the weather/temp change gets them stirred up. I had several hit and runs as well around that time, using emerald shiners, but I'm not sure what you have there.

Rainbows are usually prone to sandy, shallow areas as well.But it sounds as though being a shallow lake, you may need to look for humps in the layout of the lake. If you don't have a fishfinder of sorts (I don't), my advice would be to, on a nice day, pop holes all over the place and sound the depths with a jigstick or such.

Around here (your area may be different) early season bows will also hit worms, and from what I've heard, add a little powerbait as well, I guess the color may attract them.

Again, I really don't know what I'm talking about for the most part. Someone else will eventually pop in here and give you better answers!
guinea

Postby RedneckCrazy » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:50 pm

Thank you for the info! It all helps!
RedneckCrazy

Postby Hickgtx600f4 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:21 pm

One lake that i fish often holds landlock salmon.browns and rainbows. i generaly set up just a few feet under the ice with some small bass/waleye size minnows. some will set just off the bottom but i have never had any luck with that. it may work for you since its a more shallow lake than my local lake. as for the setup on my traps. i use a button for setting my depth with a splitshot just above a swivell. on the swivell i use a spiderwire leader and a small trebble hook. my leaders are between 3feet and 6feet. a small splitshot a foot above the trebble just to hold the minnow from swimming up.

when targeting more toothy critters just switch over to the steel leader and larger hook.
Hope this helps. and welcome to the forum. :welcome:
Hickgtx600f4

Postby RedneckCrazy » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:23 pm

Perfect! Thank you for all the info, I appreciate it!
RedneckCrazy

Postby 56987 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:20 am

Welcome RedneckCrazy!
:welcome:
Great to see new members on the site. :beer:
Rick

Return to The Ice Hole