icefishing newbie

Talk about everything ice fishing.

Moderators: iowawalleye, Wizardofoz, 56987, icefishermanmark

icefishing newbie

Postby canadianfishing » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:19 pm

Hi all,

Longtime open water fisherman here looking to get significantly more serious about ice fishing this winter.

I'm based in Toronto and I know our ice fishing in central Ontario doesn't really kick into gear until the New Year as far as I know (though like I said, serious non-expert re: ice fishing & stand to be corrected).

I'll have some time between Christmas & New Years and was wondering if there's anywhere within a 4-hourish drive that we could do some ice fishing? Upstate NY? Or is that time of year a no-go?

ideally somewhere that's basically a nice lodge or camp would be nice - comfortable sleeps and somewhere to cook the fish/have a fire. that sort of thing.

As I say, super newbie here so apologies for the basic-ness of my questions and any help much appreciated!
canadianfishing

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: icefishing newbie

Postby ger15ber » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:58 pm

Hi, try around North Bay, 3.5 hr drive , Lake Nippising or Lake Nosbising should be good depending on the weather. Or lake Temagami about 1 hr north of North Bay. Gerard
ger15ber

Postby 56987 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:34 pm

Welcome to the site!
:welcome:
Rick

Postby Androwildfire » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:26 pm

Welcome to the site! If the people on here cant help you with what they know we will all help find the answer!
Tight lines,
Andro
Androwildfire

Postby Hickgtx600f4 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:09 am

:welcome: to the site. That time frame is a little early in northern NY. Don't get me wrong, it can be done. If your just getting into it it pays off to wait for some decent safe ice.

Coles creek marina usually freezes up earliest in waddington NY. Here you can target large pike and a few walleye here and there. Perch are the main panfish for that body of ice. water depths from 5 to 30's

Wilson hill boat launch is In massena NY. Good pike and excellent perch. Water depths are rather shallow with a thick weedbed bottom. Can usually sight fish if you have a shack. This is well protected from the wind and current from the St. Lawrence River. Usualy the earliest ice is here.

There are a few other areas all within a short drive from both spots. That early in the season be sure to check your ice alot. Ice picks and a spud!! I usualy wear a life jacket under my wool coat during the early ice. Good luck and just a warning. It addictive. :mrgreen:
Hickgtx600f4

Return to The Ice Hole