Passing the Torch

Talk about everything ice fishing.

Moderators: iowawalleye, Wizardofoz, 56987, icefishermanmark

Passing the Torch

Postby surflizard » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:30 pm

Generally speaking, the time arrives every year when we are faced with the fact that our most favorite time of the year ( Ice Fishing season ) is drawing to a close and we have to face the unevitable ! Normally packing away the ice fishing gear for myself tends to be a somber affair filled with apprehension and thoughts of oppertunities missed !

This year turned out to be a little different then most, I was sorting thru the rod lockers and came across one of my perch rods, the condition of the rod gave me pause for thought ! The buckshot rattle spoon that was brand new at the start of the season looked a lot worse for wear. Most of the paint job had been chewed up and the Red Gamagatzu hook was reduced to a few flakes left around the eye. The leader had been frayed beyond any use and the rest of the line on the reel had been turned into a useless birds nest of twisted tangles and drooping loops ! I picked up the rod and wondered just how this amount of equipment abuse could have possibly happened ?

A smile came to my face as the memory of a certain day this past season came to mind. I had been lucky enough to be reunited with two old buddys on the ice back in March. As we caught up with what had been happening in our lives, I noticed that my buddys 3 year old daughter would smile and laugh when ever I hooked and reeled in one of the perch from the school I had located in a rockpile on the bottom underneath us.

With a little encouragement and a quick lesson on setting the hook and reeling in the fish, she was hooked up ! It was certainly open for debate on who exactly was having the most fun, the giggling little girl with the 100 watt smile or the 3 overly excited grown ups who Hooted and Hollared every time her rod tip bent and another Perch hit the ice ! That young lady managed to ice 15 decent Perch and released several more the before she finally fell asleep in her dads arms many hours later !

As I finished packing away the rest of the gear, I couldn't help chuckling to myself as I remembered back on that days chicannery and foolishlessness ! I brought the perch rod down to the man cave and sometime this summer I will replace the line, tie on another leader and replace the torn up spoon with a new one. I did learn one simple truth today, I will more then Gladly sacrifice all the icefishing gear that I own if it will introduce another child into this Great sport that we all love so much ! :wink:

Last edited by surflizard on Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Image Drifter Stix Rule the Hardwater
surflizard

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: Passing the Torch

Postby dylan8351 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:39 pm

That's what it is all about!
dylan8351

Postby Hickgtx600f4 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:56 pm

Great post Surf. The next generation is up to us. Way to get them involved. :thumb:
Hickgtx600f4

Postby 56987 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:20 pm

Congrats Surf!

Teaching anyone to icefish just warms that little place in your hart!
Thanks for that Surf! :thumb: :beer:
Rick

Postby snowman6902 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:50 am

As always Surf you put into words what many of us feel. I tip my hat to you for all the knowledge and passion you share for this great sport we all love. The information you put on this site then you're always willing to take a call at any time and give information to anyone or just show up and lend a hand.
snowman6902

Postby MasonEddie » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:59 am

That was excellent Surf! Bravo! Snowman ....Great reply, I'd like to second that!! :thumb:
MasonEddie

Postby Tim's a dope » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:27 pm

X3
Tim's a dope

Return to The Ice Hole