Oneida Lake NY

Talk about everything ice fishing.

Moderators: iowawalleye, Wizardofoz, 56987, icefishermanmark

Oneida Lake NY

Postby EyceWalker » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:30 pm

I wanted to ask for some help acquiring information on the current conditions of Oneida Lake in NY. I live about 5-6 hours from that lake, but I have never been there fishing. I am taking my daughter and grandson on a ice fishing trip and I would really like to show them a great time. I don't want anyone's secret information that they have worked years to learn the lake. I just want a bit of direction such as:
Is it walking only, or can we drive a full size pick up on the ice?
How thick is the ice and is it black ice, white ice, or both?
Are the fish feeding well, or is moving around a lot more productive?
Any suggestions for a good bait, jigs & live bait?
Any tips on where to start looking for good fishing grounds?

Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated. I would gladly return the favor if anyone asked for the same help in the southern Vermont area. Thank you and I hope you all finish out the end of the ice season strong with many smiles.
Your friend, EyceWalker
EyceWalker

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: Oneida Lake NY

Postby Hickgtx600f4 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:52 pm

http://www.navionics.com/en/webapp

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is your new best friend. :mrgreen:

I have only been there once so take this for what its worth lol. I too have a 3-4hr drive there and did alot of homework before i went.
so here we go.

From what i have heard it has been many years since trucks have been safely on Oneida. wheelers and sleds are the common methods of travell.

As for conditions, around 19" of ice mix fo clear and white. travel should be ok on foot with patches of snow and bare ice across the lake.

Not sure about the current bite, im sure if ya study the navionics map it will help point ya towards some spots of interest. alot of people start their day off with a trip to Apps bait shop on rt 49 in Cleavland, by the boat launch icon on the map. (North side of the lake.) Great live bait and a large assortment of Jiggin Raps. also access to the lake with permission.

Most people just jig and move around to find the fish. not many mess with tipups. A flasher/sonar really help out on this lake.

As for when i went i fished off of conatantina Mill street. a dead end road with parking just off rt49 at an old bank that is closed down. Its a LONG walk out to where i fished pancake shoal. landed one nice 18" waldo and headed back home. Truck problems on the way cut my trip short but i will be back. lol. i went into apps and checked out the shop and chatted with the lady running the joint and she pointed me in the direction of cleavland, where the bite was on that weekend. should have asked what color rap i should have used and picked one up from them. everyon else was racking them up and not me... as for another bait shop there is Bartel road bait and tackle. look them up and maybee stop in and see them. from what i have heard he will point you in the right direction also. thats about all i know about oneida lake.

as for the best thing i ever did for fishing was to download the navionics app for my iphone. gets me within a few feet of where i wanna be, best $10 i have ever spent for ice fishing. :mrgreen:
Hickgtx600f4

Postby EyceWalker » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:27 pm

Great information, thank you Hick. I have a couple vexilars and navionics equipment that I am very confident using. But any new waters I go to, it has always helped to do a lot of homework before the trip. It always pays off talking to fellow ice fisherman like yourself. All the best equipment cant take the place of a good plan. I really appreciate your help.
Your friend, EyceWalker
EyceWalker

Postby Hickgtx600f4 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:42 pm

No prob. :thumb: the lake effect snow from Ontario has missed oneida the last two times. Hope it stays away and makes travel easy on ya. Good luck!!
Hickgtx600f4

Postby steven girard » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:00 pm

Civilisation stop just at the border! :lol: Poor us!
steven girard

Postby guinea » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:52 pm

Way to step up, Hick! Awesome information. :beer:

Steven, you can keep that snow in "the Great White North"! :lol:
guinea

Return to The Ice Hole