Lake Diefenbaker

Reports and forum for Saskatchewan Ice Fishing.

Moderators: iowawalleye, PerchHunter

Lake Diefenbaker

Postby ManKinD » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:25 pm

Well i have fished Diefenbaker 3 times this winter. Twice at Coteau bay, one the pump house and the action was terribe. Once whitefish was spotted, one jack and 2 sucker. That is it. No fish caught. A few years a ago we would catch 5 trout, see lots of whitefish and soo many sucker they stirred up the bottom so it was all cloudy. Now there appears to be hardly any fish of any varitey down there. I know lots of people go to the trout farm and there are still lots of whitefish there but overall that lake is in a fishing drought (at least winter) it appears. Hard to believe it is overfished though, with the miles of water i really think it is underfished. :?
ManKinD

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Diefenbaker

Postby Jordan » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:08 pm

Hi
I was talking to the co this weekend at the Sports & liesure show in Saskatoon and they said that the release of the trout had really affected the lake. Trout eat lots of others fish eggs and lots of the game fish fry.
The walleye they said were the hardest hit but it has seemed to affect the northerns as well. I thought that with all the whites in the lake that they would hurt the fishery more than the trout but they say that whites don't eat that many minnows or eggs mostly eat plankton and bugs. At the hatchery the whites are literely stacked on top of each other they said but not biting because of the trout pellets that are left over from feeding.
They also said that about 80 to 90% of the released trout have been caught. The fishing across province has been pretty slow overall though from what I've heard.
Jordan
Jordan

Postby striker » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:39 am

hi well i fish lake deifenbaker summer and winter usually once a week. Iv really noticed a rapid slow down of trout fishing. Iv found when ice fishing for trout with trout bait that almost placing the bait on the bottom seems to be working better than suspending it. I had a trout hitting my jig and minnow but not taking it in. As soon as i dropped it to the bottom WAM.. 6lbs. trout. try bringing the trout in with rappid movements and letting sit on the bottom once in a while. I usually always catch 2 or more trout summer or winter. I do have my secret spots though.
striker

Return to Saskatchewan Ice Fishing