Fishing at night? when, where and how?

Reports and forum for Saskatchewan Ice Fishing.

Moderators: iowawalleye, PerchHunter

Fishing at night? when, where and how?

Postby clint clysdale » Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:55 pm

Just woundering if any one has any advice on fishing at night and what to use? and do those glow in the dark lures really work?
clint clysdale

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Postby ManKinD » Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:17 pm

It is said that Burbot and Walleye bit well in dim light situations including after dark. I have never fished after dark through the ice. You would have to be set up with some kind of lights on the ice so you could see something i suppose. I would be surprised to hear that the glow in the dark hooks would out perform a standard hook. I always thought they were just for better visibiltiy for us humans when looking at them down a hole so we could see our hook better.

I have wondered what would happen if you dropped one of those light sticks down the hole on your line at night, however i suppose that would be considered "fishing with lights" and thus illegal in Canada.

If i were you and was curious enough to try night fishing i would just use standard bait and presentations that you would use in the day and hopefully the "nocturnal" fish would find you.
ManKinD

Postby clint clysdale » Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:23 pm

Well I did try useing one of those lite sticks but just put it on the end of my rod so i could tell if a fish hit, it would start moving, A good keracein lantern and a guy has alot of light to work with. I will try those tips thanx.
clint clysdale

Postby King Fisher » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:31 pm

Since most fish have reduced sight during night (except for walleye, burbot, and a few others), try and use a lure that creates noise...like a rattle. I find that using bright colours worked better as well.
--King Fisher--
King Fisher

Return to Saskatchewan Ice Fishing