Winter Rainbows: When, where, and How?

Reports and forum for Saskatchewan Ice Fishing.

Moderators: iowawalleye, PerchHunter

Winter Rainbows: When, where, and How?

Postby Nanook » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:03 am

:?: Wodering if anyone has some good advice for catching winter Rainbows. We have a lake within 10 minutes of my doorstep that is stocked with some good sized Rainbow. But everytime I go it is the same old story, wait all day for one little tap on the fishing line and their gone. We usually fish shallow as I have never had much success in the deeper water. Have tried every hook known to man. Whats the secret to catching these elusive lethargic rainbows. Some advice would be greatly appreciated. :oops:
Nanook

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Postby ManKinD » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:19 pm

Have you read the thread here under trout ponds already? First of all i am somewhat envious of the fact that you are soo close to a lake full of trout, they are fun to catch. Regarding fishing for them i don't know if you will receive any replies that will really help as i am guessing that it differs from lake to lake. For example in Lake Diefenbaker they are easy to catch, i have caught them jigging with a small spoon tipped with a minnow, rapala jigging plug with minnow parts on both hooks or just using whitefish hooks (J-hook with wire wrapped around it) tipped with corn. In that lake it is easier catching rainbows than jack however from what i have heard people have had alot of trouble with them in other smaller lakes. Can you see them approach the hook? Do you get alot of looks but just not much action? Personally for finicky trout i would use a transparent mono line, white fish hook with corn on the end. Jig to bring them in and go still when you see one. Alternatively you could use live worms for bait. Not an expert myself but maybe these ideas will help.
ManKinD

Thanks for the advice

Postby Nanook » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:06 pm

Thanks for all the info. It seems like I have tried everything and nothing seems to work. Went back the other day to try again and received the same results. As for the the water clarity it is really dark. This is quite odd for this neck of the woods but it is really black. I have heard the Rainbows (or maybe all trout in general) are sensitive to oxygen levels. Early in Novemeber when the ice goes on is when they are most active. Activity through the rest of the winter is slim to none. Don't know if there is any truth to that but I am starting to believe it. I am begining to think there is no fish in that lake but I know better than that. In fact it is full of nice size Rainbows I just need to figure them out!

PS Keep the posts coming!
Nanook

Postby ManKinD » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:42 pm

Have you tried purchasing a commercial fish scent that you can buy in the fishing hole (or wherever) for example? What about buying some fish pellets (commercial trout food) and grinding them up into a paste with flour, water, eggs and rolling it into balls? Have you tried Berkley Trout Power Bait? Ever though of making dough balls with cheese or just chunks of cheese on the hook?
ManKinD

rainbow fishing

Postby striker » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:28 pm

i almost always fish dief, and quit sussessful with just using trout bait, bright orange and chartuse green together with sparkles. I once fished a stocked trout pond in alberta and had all my success with just this technique. using a octopus hook. the bright colors and scent should help with the dark water. Try setting a tip up in 8-10 ft with the bait floating 12 inch of the bottom. make sure you use almost no wieght so the fish can suck the bait in and a free spooling tip up. usually always works for rainbows anywhere i go. maybe chum with sinking trout pellets or corn.
striker

Postby lv2huntandfish » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:41 pm

I have caught many rainbows here in Maine during the winter. I dont know how much it differs from were u are but here are some ideas and genereal things that i do to catch em. I fish for rainbows in 1-3 feet of water using a medium sized worm with the dark end cut off and thread it right on the hook cutting it makes it so that some smell secreits into the water. Try to find a cove that has sandy beach. It suprises many people how shallow you actually need to fish to catch these fish. Yes you can catch them over 50 feet of water just under the ice. But I find fishing between 1 and 3 feet of water works best. I use 4 - 8lb florocarbon. I would use 8lb if you have a lot of ice because 4lb or even 6lb get cut pretty easy on the side of the ice in your hole. I would also use a relatively small hook. Nothing larger than a #8. Also the smallest shinners u can find work almost as well as the worms. No weight and set it half way between the ice and the bottom...generaly i fish it a little closer to the ice. Because bows look up to feed...generally.
lv2huntandfish

Return to Saskatchewan Ice Fishing