Ice Report NW of Great Falls?

Reports and forum for Montana Ice Fishing.

Moderator: iowawalleye

Ice Report NW of Great Falls?

Postby wirehairman » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:10 am

I'm heading to the in-laws in Choteau over Christmas.

Am wondering how the ice/fishing is on Nilan, Willow Creek, Lake Frances, or any of the other reservoirs in the area and if its worth my time to drag my gear up there?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin
wirehairman

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Postby gordon » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:56 pm

Frances should be good. Let us know how you do?
gordon

Postby wirehairman » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:21 am

The warm temps and chinook winds made me a little leary of the ice, so I chased late season ringnecks with the mutts instead. With bird season officially closed, I'll be looking for some good ice a little more seriously.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin
wirehairman

Fishing Pishkun -

Postby Jaimej26 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:47 pm

I fished Pishkun Resevoir for the first time last Saturday. I was quite surprised that it was very very low (on water) and only a small portion was frozen.

We got our tip ups in the water and weren't there over an hour when hurricane winds started up. It was blowing towards the open water! We were lucky to get off the ice in one piece.

Has anyone else ever experienced this at Pishkun? Is it normal or did we just pick a really cruddy day? :oops:
Jaimej26

Postby Maggot » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:34 am

It's tyoical and can happen any time. Even though I have not fished Pishkun, I have hunted in the area on many, many windy days. It can be perfectly calm then within less than an hour blow you away. Welcome to the Rocky Mountain Front.
Maggot

Ice on Nilan

Postby jwbwalrus » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:24 pm

I icefished Nilan on Fri the 14th. There was about 7 inches of good ice. Fishing was slow. Best luck on pink and white jig and all black. One guy was catching a couple on just a small hook with a grub on it.
There is no river running through the graveyard so we better get to fishing now.
jwbwalrus

Postby Hooked » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:56 pm

I have been blown off Piskun bad several times,spearing house and all. A guy really has to watch the wind off the mountains. When the dust starts to fly I strap everything down and get ready.
Hooked

I didn't fish pishkin

Postby lovetoicefish » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:53 pm

I didn't fish pishkin but I have fished a private pond in Power and did very well on trout...my buddy caught a 8.5 pound rainbow..Ice is very good, probably 15 inches or so...any one fished highlight reservoir in bozeman lately?? heading there over the new year and was going to drag my ice fishing stuff with me.
lovetoicefish

Return to Montana Ice Fishing