Lake Metonga

Reports and forum for Wisconsin Ice Fishing.

Moderators: iowawalleye, DanburyFisher

Lake Metonga

Postby IceTim » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:04 pm

My parents have a place accross the street from Lake Metonga in Crandon, WI. We've been going there for years and generally only fish it during the summer.. I've heard stories in the past, and even recently on lake-link about people bagging their limits in good size perch but I just havn't had much luck. My girlfriend and I will be upnext week Jan 3rd-Jan 7th.. Mon-Fri and I plan on spending a siginificant portion of the week on the ice. Has anyone else had success on this lake or will be fishing it next week? My goal is to target Perch with our jigging rods and walleye with our tip ups. I plan on fishing fishing near 15-20 foot sandbars in 25-35 feet of water and have 3 areas picked out on my topo map. (Thank you WDNR for the free map online!). ON my tip ups, going for walleye I plan to use 20lb tip up line with about 4 ft of 8lb flourocarbon and a few different set ups mainly with #6 red eagle claw treble hooks and shiners... (maybe try a spoon and a jigging rappela while expirementing as well).. So will have 4 tip ups out between the two of us.. AND will each be using ugly stick rods for perch.. Hers is a medium, mine a light with 4lb red ice line with small jig and a few waxies.. maybe try small shiners and expirement. I don't have a sonar, but do have a camera.. I plan to try a different one of my 3 spots each day unless I nail them.. then will stay there.. Just looking for that sweet spot of 25-35 feet (apperently thats where they are according to some lake-link guys). Then will set my 4 tip ups in that depth, experimenting between a foot and 5 feet off the bottom 50 yards or so apart... and will move up to about 20-25 feet for our base (a couple lawn chairs, a propane grill, and a case of beer) Will drill our two jigging holes about 10 feet apart, with the camera hole in the middle? (first time using the camera... Thanks Santa!).. And go from there. Anything you see wrong with this picture? Any other advice? Anyone plan on being there next week? Thanks in advance!
~I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life.~
IceTim

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: Lake Metonga

Postby jrclen » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:09 pm

Hey Tim,
My Aunt has a cottage on Metonga and it's been good ice fishing. Take a look at the lake map on your other post. I fish on the west shore where that eye shaped circle is. 25 feet with a 20 foot sand bar in the center. It's half way down the lake from town. I like to fish perch and my grandson fishes walleye right around there. It's been a few years now, but it was darn good fishing. What you plan to do sounds about right.
John
jrclen

Postby IceTim » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:34 pm

Ok.. so I finally found them on the camera- hoping to nail them next time.
IceTim

Postby Jim111 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:50 pm

The perch or the walleyes? Hope you have luck next time. -Jim
FLAG!
Jim111

Postby jrclen » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:01 am

Let us know how you do. And where. Good luck.
jrclen

Postby IceTim » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:34 am

Well the lake doesn't have a huge walleye population. They can't seem to sustain a population on their own, so it is constantly stocked, and imo overfished (and overspeared).. SO I was targetting perch mainly.. but still keeping tip ups large enough in case an occasional walleye wandered by.. I fished all over the lake, but really found them on the southeast corner, just outside of the little bay (We call it Peterson's Bay). I am SOOO glad that santa bought be a camera, as I would likely thrown in the towel much sooner if I hadn't seen that they ARE down there. Anyway, spoke with a few of the neighbors up there, as well as a very helpful couple in the new hobby shop and feel pretty confident that I'll be able to bring home some fish on our next trip.. It got to be 8 below with 15 mph snow blowing in our face one night.. and not much warmer any of the other days.. SO am glad I finally bought a tent! NExt year's toy will be a gas auger and maybe an arctic armor suit.
IceTim

Return to Wisconsin Ice Fishing