Jigging setup called "Mendota Rig"

Reports and forum for Wisconsin Ice Fishing.

Moderators: iowawalleye, DanburyFisher

Jigging setup called "Mendota Rig"

Postby wm. » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:28 pm

Does anyone have any information about a jigging setup called a "Mendota Rig"? It was a popular jigging rod used around Lake Mendota many years ago. Are they still available?
wm.

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Postby icemantrav » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:32 pm

look them up on google...u might be able to buy them off ebay.
icemantrav

Swish-Rod

Postby rickstream » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:01 pm

Swish-Rods were made by Handi-Shop Industries of Tomah, Wisconsin back in the day. Two size reels were made. The larger reel would put out 18 inches of line per revolution. So Fifty turns was 75 feet. Used for deep water crappie fishing (lake Mendota) they had a thumb screw drag on the reel axle, bi-pod fold out legs, and an ice scrapping wire loop for the line cleaning and a real sweet hardwood maple handle to finish the rig off. And all made in Wisconsin. Nice rigs, however, not used much by anyone now days. The term "Mendota Rig" was known by everyone back in the late 1970's and early 1980's when the Swish-Rods were sold at every tackle store on earth. Now days it is a St. Croix that is in use for deep water crappie fishing. I still use my "Mendota Rig" on Green Lake when going deep.
rickstream

Re: Jigging setup called "Mendota Rig"

Postby dah71228 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:06 pm

they are no longer available from what I understand. I have 3 of my husbands that I am selling cause I don't fish any more . They are used on deep lakes for catching perch.
dah71228

Return to Wisconsin Ice Fishing