New to Omaha...Where to fish

Reports and forum for Nebraska Ice Fishing.

Moderators: iowawalleye, hankthecrank

New to Omaha...Where to fish

Postby carlstone » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:43 pm

I recently moved to Bellevue and am getting into ice fishing. Where are some places to go that are relatively close? Also looking for good campgrounds and lakes for the summer months too.

Thanks
Carlstone
carlstone

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Postby ihscoutfan » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:09 am

Try Summit Lake near Tekamah, NE 30 miles north of you, will need a state park permit. Not a large lake but freezes bays first and no running water so generally safe pretty early. It was renovated in 2004 and I fished there last year and caught limits of Bluegill the two weekends I went. We also caught many 14.5 " bass just under the limit. The gills were nice eating size. No monsters but I swear there were often 30 in view of my underwater camera! Go when a front is moving in the first day. Sunny days and calm days less apt to bite - there still there just jaws shut! Nice thing about camera is you can see what it takes!! Lake was restocked with Bass, bluegill, Walleye, and Cat. NO crappie sorry! I usually fish south bay in center of channel or north side right on big corner where it turns west from the dam in about 15-20 foot. Should be very good once we get ice!!

PM me and we can exchange phone numbers. Im pretty new to ice fishing last few years and still looking for contacts. Have auger, shack, and camera but no vex! I havent been out yet this year but going to drive north this weekend to get too ice! Shouldn't be a problem after Sunday if weatherman is correct three days of zero shoould do the trick!!! I hope!!

I also have a friend Sandhills near Basset with awesome fishing. Would like to get back out there for bass, perch and Northern! Talked to him tonight he said not to come this Saturday ice is still suspect in places but let me know if your interested! Also should be ready next week!!
ihscoutfan

Postby magnusthebigbrownlab » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:43 pm

Standing Bear has brought me a few nice trout this year already. Catching them about a foot or two off bottom on small jigs tipped with small minnows.

I've done well in years past at Walnut Creek for Bass, Gill, and Crappie. Zorinsky for crappie and walleye. If you're willing to make the drive, Mile Hill Lake near Glenwood, IA has very nice panfish and more bass than you can shake a stick at.

If you know the right people who can get you on Beaver Lake (south of Plattsmouth, NE), you can catch 2+ pound crappie, wipers that are 15+, and lots and lots of nice walleye. Trouble is...it's private.
magnusthebigbrownlab

Postby ihscoutfan » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:28 am

Update on Summit Lake.

Been catching 8-10" gills and a few bass and crappie thru at least 10" ice. Weather hasn't allow me to move around much and relocate once my hut is set up but still have been catching fish. Not large volumes but 5/hour roughly and quality has been good. Better fishing if Id move im sure. Only thrown bass back no sorters on gill and crappie yet.
ihscoutfan

Postby magnusthebigbrownlab » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:40 pm

Went to Wherspan (spelling?) off 156thish and Giles tonight. Caught 18 NICE crappie about 2 foot off bottom in 25 foot of water on small jigs tipped w/ minnows. Caught all of 'em well into the night.
magnusthebigbrownlab

Postby Mr. Boston » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:01 pm

I've been fishing at Standing Bear lately right around the cemetary. Been catching them pretty consistently using hildabrands tipped with waxworms and purple ice jigs also tipped with waxworms. Fishing at a debt of about 8 feet and suspending the bait 3' off the bottom. Best time is right before sun set.
Mr. Boston

Return to Nebraska Ice Fishing