bluegills

Discuss ice fishing tips with other ice fishermen.

Moderators: iowawalleye, bachtowing13, Michigan

bluegills

Postby nutty1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:39 pm

Yesterday I was fishing for gills and they would come up to my lure but wouldn't hit it. I tried a lot of lures and colors tipped with a waxworm. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
nutty1

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: bluegills

Postby doc morgan-Blue gil killa » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:58 pm

well you did what most of us would have done and thats change colors till ya found something they would hit. One of the things that works well for me is on suspended fish. I like to keep the bait above them a foot or so and make them come up for it. I never stop moving my jig. when I get a fish to commit to investigate and he makes his move up I wait till he's almost there and slowly start to raise and jig it away from him.in most cases I have found that they will race up after it thinking its going to get away and bam fish on.every day is a new experience in trying to trigger the bite. fish feed differently from lake to lake and day to day.I know for a fact color does matter. keep trying different things untill you figure out how they want to eat.
good luck and tigt lines...Doc 8) oh P.S. try using spikes or another bait. some times they dont want those waxies.
if hunting and fishing was my job I should be rich by now.
doc morgan-Blue gil killa

Postby Jig Man » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:30 am

I am a big believer in keeping the jig moving. That last 2-3 feet (maybe more depending on water clarity) above the fish I'm already swimming the jig slowly down toward the fish. I use hair jigs almost exclusively and that can be a great trigger itself. My whole theory behind the hair jig and moving it even if it is just a fraction of an inch is it always looks alive and swimming. 2 of the lakes that I fish have large panfish and they are not easy to fool on most days. Years of pulling out all the stops to get bit and the hair tails are as good as anything and like Doc said color will matter many times. Don't forget about black many guys don't consider it but it needs to be in your arsenal and will be the one on some days.
Jig Man

Postby doc morgan-Blue gil killa » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:03 am

Funny you should metion Black..its my go to color when all else fails..schoolie diver black with 2 white eyes..its sad we can no longer get mousies.because thats all I normally use.but they will eat spikes just as well..never fished with hair jigs before . got any pictures of them.

Postby Jig Man » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:06 pm

These are some of what I use. Tungsten hair jigs
1 Crappie Perch GillJPG.JPG
1 Crappie Perch GillJPG.JPG (92.7 KiB) Viewed 4972 times
Jig Man

Postby doc morgan-Blue gil killa » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:25 am

I have never seen the hair jig's..they look like they will catch feesh...thanks for posting the pic. I'll be searching a few out and giving them a try. :thumb:

Return to Ice Fishing Tips