Easy open cusk/Burbot traps

Discuss ice fishing tips with other ice fishermen.

Moderators: iowawalleye, bachtowing13, Michigan

Easy open cusk/Burbot traps

Postby surflizard » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:40 am

I came up with a cusk/burbot trap design a few years back after losing too many fish and lines to chisel damage ! :mad: Here in NH we're allowed to have set lines for Cusk, only stipulation is that they have to be inspected once every 24 hours ! I use a scrape piece of 1/2 pvc pipe to prtect the line from the chisel and to help the line from freezing in. I use hole covers to keep the holes from freezing and it gives me a platform on top of the open hole to pile snow on for added insulation. I pour a splash of cooking oil in the plastic once the trap is in place and it allows me to check the line for a fish at anytime during the 24 hour period. The best part is no matter how cold it gets, to pull the trap to check it or move is very simple, I slide my chsel under the foam hole cover and lift, No chopping ! This set up has worked down to -34* below and makes checking the traps so much easier and it allows me to run more traps !
Last edited by surflizard on Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Drifter Stix Rule the Hardwater
surflizard

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: Easy open cusk/Burbot traps

Postby webster » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:03 pm

how many of these traps can you set . I am hoping if the ice gets thick enough to try for cusk in Champlain this winter. We use to catch the odd one once in a while on eyes perch fishing. There must be some there. We cannot leave a set line in vermont.
webster

Postby surflizard » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:45 am

We are allowed 6 lines for cusk fishing, they do have to be checked once every 24 hours, meaning the hook must be pulled to the surface and visually inspected. We target them specifically with jigging rods in March during the spawn period, we locate rockpiles during the full moon period. They tend to be super aggresive during the spawn, flashy spoons with a piece of suckermeat or a chunk of shiner work well.
Last edited by surflizard on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Drifter Stix Rule the Hardwater
surflizard

Postby RaveRo » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:34 pm

That's great info. The limit does take the fun out of it
RaveRo

Return to Ice Fishing Tips