sewing thread...

Discuss ice fishing tips with other ice fishermen.

Moderators: iowawalleye, bachtowing13, Michigan

sewing thread...

Postby icemantrav » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:36 pm

i bought some today but i dont think I got the right stuff. its 100% polyester and i got 2,200 yards for 8.99.....it broke a lil easy when i pulled it...i dont think i could catch 10 in gills or foot long crappie on it... :roll: :?
icemantrav

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

thread

Postby GFHFG » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:49 pm

i have gotten some from meijer and some from joanne fabric it is only like 1/4lb it is not very stong but you can catch 10 inch gills with it but you cant horse them in. good luck
Thank You God for fishing and hunting
GFHFG

Postby icemantrav » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:20 pm

i debatin on takin it back or not...its only .004 and my 3 pound is .007 and thats not a big difference....should I keep it?
icemantrav

Postby GFHFG » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:06 pm

if you get the right stuff it can make a difference with finiki fish they will bite and you will catch more fish a moderator on this site made me a believer
Thank You God for fishing and hunting
GFHFG

Postby icemantrav » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:51 pm

yeah doc...i think ill keep it ive read up on what he had said in past messages but im stillnot all the way convinced
icemantrav

Postby jaysun23 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:20 pm

I would think you'd be better off with some 1# or 2# test FireLine instead of sewing thread
jaysun23

Postby carlos the iceman campos » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:57 am

yeah i wouldnt use it if you want to snag the finicky fish just use 1lbs fluorocarbon or even mono i use 3lb and i never have a problem catching fish and if there that finicky then just bore some more holes and find feeding fish save time and get more excitement for just a little extra work
Bag Um And Tag Um
carlos the iceman campos

Postby doc morgan-Blue gil killa » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:03 am

for the price of all those other lines I could buy a life supplly of thread..the thread is strong stuff and has alot of stretch and memory..I will out fish 99% of the guys on the lake just by using this one little thing..I change colors alot to until I find a color that will make the fish more agressive.For example the other night I was on suspended fish had a lot of lookers but none would hit the bait..changed colors 5 times until I caught the first one and after that we put 36 on the ice in 25 minutes.So colors really matter along with other factors.but back to the thread I will guarantee you will catch more fish than you have ever caught if you use it..for the price you can't go wrong...DOC 8)
if hunting and fishing was my job I should be rich by now.
doc morgan-Blue gil killa

Postby icemantrav » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:24 am

i think im gunna keep it i just wish i could find it for the price every one else gets it for. like 4000 yards for 5$ instead of 2200 for 9$....mine was about twice as much :roll: and yet it still is way cheaper than any other fishng line out there
icemantrav

Postby T~bag » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:13 pm

You just replace your line with thread or use a thread leader?? What color thread? This is interesting to me, Ive never heard of it......Thanks.............. :?: Trever
How to ice more keepers? Drill, drill, drill then drill a few more holes.
T~bag

Postby doc morgan-Blue gil killa » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:28 pm

it comes in clear mono and grey mono..costs $1.59 for 500 yards most fabrick stores have it in stock just ask for clear mono sowing thread..it comes in different mills.(strength)..all my ice fishing reals are spooled with it.you could use it as a leader too if you want..every fish that I have caught and posted pic's on this sight have been caught on the thread.except the steelhead haha.DOC 8)look in the michigan forms for pic's..

Postby T~bag » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:59 pm

Guess Ill have to make a stop tom. before work......... THANKS DOC~!!
How to ice more keepers? Drill, drill, drill then drill a few more holes.
T~bag

Postby bradleyroy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:36 pm

so you just replace your fish line with sewing thread?
does it work for perch?
ive never heard of this before...very interesting
bradleyroy

Postby doc morgan-Blue gil killa » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:57 am

yes it even works for big perch..I like to leave some 1 pound on for backing then spool 500 yards of the thread.belive it or not its pretty sough stuff.I have even caught pike on it by accident,but had to play them out..its so fine the fish cant see it.and fish are line shy..for the $1.59 what have you got to loose.DOC 8)Image
Image this spool is only 135 yards.IMPORTANT!! 123 mill -}'strength'{ is the key all clear mono is not the same..

Postby Garygreybucket » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:13 pm

I had to try it for myself after reading this forum and no luck for me. I bought some poly thread from a fabric place but dont think its the right stuff. I had three break offs in less than a hour wich two of them could of been pike the way it hit. The 3rd break was a jumbo crappy got him to the hole and off he went. I did land a small crappy. mean while my brother had 6 landed while was farting around changing out poles. :?
Garygreybucket

Next

Return to Ice Fishing Tips