supercharge you glow jigs

Discuss ice fishing tips with other ice fishermen.

Moderators: iowawalleye, bachtowing13, Michigan

supercharge you glow jigs

Postby JUSTINM » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:10 am

i have been using my kids black light for 30 mins to an hour in the morning before i go out to charge my glow jigs up. it gets them so bright they glow in the light! i also take a small led flash light with me but this seems too keep them bright most of the day with out ever putting them under my led. has anyone else done this.....give it a try!
FIRST ON AND LAST OFF
JUSTINM

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: supercharge you glow jigs

Postby skipjack » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:58 am

Another thing that works well is a camera flash. We use this on our wobble glows when drifting for steelhead. One flash will juice em up nice.
skipjack

Postby Steellord » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:11 am

We had a small black light the wife got from some infomercial scam and I now use it to charge my glow jigs. I also carry one of those small 9 LED flashlights too. :thumb:
Steellord
Maille Artisan
ICQ# 24735418
~~~~~~~~~~
There are 4 boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo.
Use in that order.
Steellord

Postby TritleFishing » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:15 am

My LED headlamp seems to work good. Never thought of the black light though.
TritleFishing

Postby Little John » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:54 pm

Any good UV light will fully charge even the hardest to charge super glow colors in seconds. You don't need to charge them up 5 , 10, or 15 minutes with a real UV/Black light. Now with that said, not all UV lights are created equal. The number of LED's only matters as far as how big of area you want to charge at a time. Unless you're charging baits for killer whales, a good quality light with 6-12 LED's has plenty of coverage.

The wavelength of the light that excites the strontium particles used in Super Glows is invisible to the human eye, so the actual light you see coming your flash light is not the wavelength that actual does the work. If you could compare lights of different wavelengths (and they do vary) you would find that the lights with the most visible light work the worst. The old Lindy chargers and some of the other early charging lights were terrible as they were only blue LED's which did almost nothing for even standard glows. White LED's are also very poor charging sources. Flash style bulbs work ok on old style, short lived glow and some of the easier to charge super glows like red and green, but don't get the job done on the blues and purples. The fluorescent bulbs are good at covering a large area, but don't have the "power" that the LED's have.

If you must have the biggest light, then go ahead and buy one of those 21 LED flash lights. Most of the lights on the market use 3 AAA batteries. So you can do the math on how much more energy a 21 LED light uses than a 9 LED unit. I like to leave my light turned on, attached to my Sonic Ice Hopper, pointed right at my fishing hole. It illuminates my high vis line and charges my Suoer Glow Little Atom plastics every time I wave them in front of the light. If you keep the light in your pocket, you will probably forget to use it as often as you should. That's why I like to clip it right in front.

If I sound like a know it all, I'm sorry. But I did a lot of testing and R&D work with these super glow powders long before they were industry standard. I helped Little Atom develop their Atomic Glow plastics and jump started the Atomic Charger.

There are tons of baits on the market these days using these cool super glow colors. If you haven't used a UV or Super Charger light to fire them up, you're really missing out.

Tight Lines,
John Bacarella
Sportsmen's Direct Inc

NAIFC Pro Staff
Ice Gator Pro Staff
Little Atom Pro Staff
Originator of the Sonic Ice Hopper
Little John

Postby JUSTINM » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:53 am

john thx for all the light info. i only leave them under the black light that long cuz it takes me about 30 mins to let the car warm up while i am loading my stuff. it seems to get them bright in less than 30 sec. my led flash light is a 9 i think. it works out on the ice and i use it about every time i pull my line up. i am not sure if it makes a huge diff or not, i am still trying to decide if yhe extra glow helps. i have tryed small glow lights that attach to your line and have not seen a big change yet. they say some colors turn the fish away. this is were i wish i had a good under water cam! with all the stuff you know about glows do you think it makes a huge diff or not?
FIRST ON AND LAST OFF
JUSTINM

Postby crappiman » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:03 pm

Why not keep them charged the whole time they are underwater with the Crappi Candle submersible light?
crappiman
IFC Sponsor

Postby Little John » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:45 pm

The deal with glow colors is like anything else. It only matters when it matters, but when it matters it usually matters a lot!

I have yet to see a glow charger that clips onto a rod that is a real UV light. The ones that used to come on the genz rods were just a plain old white LED with almost no UV wavelength light. They barely charged a conventional glow jig :(

You would be amazed how often glow will out produce standard colors in the ice fishing environment. Unless you are fishing very thin, gin clear, sunny conditions, glow baits are noticeably brighter under water.

Here is a key point for you folks. When I'm talking glow, my brain is visualizing Jumbo Wedgee tails, Nuggies, Micro Nuggies and other soft plastics attached to various jig heads that may or may not be glowing. Why? Because it is far easier to change colors on soft plastics than to retie a new jig. I like to use more subtle jig heads and fire up the presentation with the soft plastic. If I have to fish with meat, then I'll go higher contrast on the jig head. But I have to stop here about plastics or they will take over this thread. If you follow the blog on my website, you can read my mini articles on all of these topics. Better yet, follow us on facebook as a fan and you'll get an update when I blog. enough blatant advertising -back to the topic

To get back to the issue of glows. Will they spook fish? Yep, some times the fish will not like a brightly glowing bait. But that's where your glow blue and glow purple come in. You don't need a camera to figure this out, just look at your flasher. If fish are coming in right after you charge up, but don't hit....and if they start hitting 5 or 10 minutes later when the glow is diminished...glow blues and purples are very subtle, but glow a loooong time. You have to use a UV light to get these buggars to glow correctly. We experimented with tons of colors, like turquoise, canary yellow, orange before we settled on the Red, Blue and purple for the Little Atom Atomic glow colors. I still have a stash of those wild colored prototypes, just in case, some day...but they didn't seem to work as well as the colors that made the final cut. That old original glow, with it's super bright but quickly fading greenish glow still catches a ton of fish for us, from coast to coast.

Here's another point. The pigment used in glow Red soft plastics is actually bright white in its uncharged state. It's even brighter white than a basic white plastic, soooo when you're fishing these baits and glow dies down, you're left with a bright white soft plastic and that's not a bad thing! The standard glow green is kind of a creamy translucent color, it will catch fish too when it's uncharged. Glow blue and glow purple are just kind of muted gray translucent when uncharged. I usually only use them under heavy snow cover, water over 20' and at night of course.

I know I got off subject, but hope I was helpful. My partner (Chuck Mason) and I will be doing a seminar for the NAIFC Hamlin Lake, MI tournament at the end of the month. You folks are sure welcome to stop in. Heck, come on out and fish the event with us. You'll be amazed how much you can learn from all these guys. I learn something new every tournament. If I could only remember what I learned and had the real brains to apply it at the right time, we'd be unbeatable ;) lol

Gotta get to bed, going fishing in the AM. laid off from my day job this week :) or :( ??
John Bacarella
Sportsmen's Direct Inc

NAIFC Pro Staff
Ice Gator Pro Staff
Little Atom Pro Staff
Originator of the Sonic Ice Hopper
Little John

Postby JUSTINM » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:08 pm

so i have done some testing with a few glow jigs this weekend. also a few line attach glow products. what i found was in the morning and afternoon when the bite was on they were not that much better. but the mid day slow time i put on a omniglow lunker light, green/vert tube about two inches above my glow jig tipped with perch eye and had three fish in 10 mins. my other pole 12 inches too the left had the same jig and bait with out the glow tube attached and did not get a single bite. so i think during certain times when it is slow they do bring in more fish. also i use green, blue, red, and orange color glow jigs 95% of the time i am jigging and seem too have a much better catch rate than the guy two feet away that dont use glow jigs that much. as far as the crappie candle goes i have not yet got one, i am waiting for mor reviews too come out from other people who have used them. i dont like to spend money on things that i am not sure about. if the crappie candle guys were to send me one too try out and it works then my friends and i would grab a couple dozen i am sure. so crappie man if you are so sure of you product send me a free trial and we will see how they work.... now remember i am a guy who goes out three days a week year round and has used a ton of things some good, some not so good! if your are interested than pm me for shipping info.
FIRST ON AND LAST OFF
JUSTINM

Postby shooter1 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:57 pm

I bought a lure lightning and found that it works far better and more convenient then any other glow charging system I have used. I have tried everything out there that you can imagin and this is the best. Well built as it is made in USA. The glow is more bright and lasts alot longer. One of my friends bought two of them immediatly after seeing mine. Happy Fishing
shooter1

Postby nickel13 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:31 pm

If you have a smartphone with a camera flash or there are tons of flashlite apps you can download free. The LED light on my phone is way brighter than my handheld flashlite. Something to try.
nickel13

Postby Nick Roehl » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:58 pm

I use the same thing on my Droid for glow jigs. It's super bright.
Nick Roehl
Site Admin

Postby Richard Cranium » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:25 am

Something I have found that works real well for charging these super glow lures is a blacklight flashlight. They can be purchased on line and are used out west quite a bit to illuminate scorpions. I use mine mostly on Moonshine lures and usually about a two - three second blast is all it takes. They run about $25.00 - $30.00 for the light and it was well worth it.
Hoovering like a fly...waiting for a windshield on a freeway
Richard Cranium

Postby Sumam » Sun May 19, 2013 12:50 am

Steellord wrote:We had a small black light the wife got from some infomercial scam and I now use it to charge my glow jigs. I also carry one of those small 9 LED flashlights too. :thumb:

Do you have 9 led flashlights ? It's amazing collection ! Do you always use those to charge your glow jigs ?
Sumam

Postby Sumam » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:42 am

I bought some extremely good led lights from http://www.marinesalvageantiques.com
I recommend it.
Sumam

Return to Ice Fishing Tips